- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- New CEO named at Wood & Huston Bank (8/21/16)
- Victims of alleged Ponzi scheme seek compensation from killer's victims (8/21/16)3
- Cape Central football team falls to state-ranked Liberty in Pixley's debut (8/20/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
The temperatures earlier this week made it feel more like summer than spring. And though it's still a few months until we celebrate our nation's Independence Day, a local group organizing July 4 festivities in Cape Girardeau is looking for your support.
Last year about 3,500 people attended a four-day celebration around the July 4 holiday at Arena Park. This event, organized by USA Veterans, featured a number of activities, including the popular demolition derby and spectacular fireworks display.
An event like this requires good organization and widespread support from the community. An advertisement in Wednesday's Southeast Missourian listed nearly 90 individuals and businesses who volunteered or supported the event last year. Thank you to all those who helped make it possible.
USA Veterans will host a one-day event this year on July 4. The slimmed-down event will feature the demolition derby and a fireworks display.
While the event takes place at Arena Park, it's the organization that sponsors this event -- not the city of Cape Girardeau.
If you enjoyed last year's event, we hope you'll consider supporting the organization again this year. Businesses or individuals who would like to donate may call Rodger Brown at 587-3932 or Cathy Ring 512-560-5886. Contributions can be sent to: USA Veterans, P.O. Box 840, Cape Girardeau, MO 63702-0840.