- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)7
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)24
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Lawmakers put prevailing wage in crosshairs; laborers object (2/12/17)10
- Chaffee district seeks bond issue for classrooms, property (3/26/17)4
- 'Construction with finesse' (3/26/17)2
- Cramped quarters: April 4 proposition aims to ease crowding in Perry County District Schools (3/23/17)4
The temperatures earlier this week made it feel more like summer than spring. And though it's still a few months until we celebrate our nation's Independence Day, a local group organizing July 4 festivities in Cape Girardeau is looking for your support.
Last year about 3,500 people attended a four-day celebration around the July 4 holiday at Arena Park. This event, organized by USA Veterans, featured a number of activities, including the popular demolition derby and spectacular fireworks display.
An event like this requires good organization and widespread support from the community. An advertisement in Wednesday's Southeast Missourian listed nearly 90 individuals and businesses who volunteered or supported the event last year. Thank you to all those who helped make it possible.
USA Veterans will host a one-day event this year on July 4. The slimmed-down event will feature the demolition derby and a fireworks display.
While the event takes place at Arena Park, it's the organization that sponsors this event -- not the city of Cape Girardeau.
If you enjoyed last year's event, we hope you'll consider supporting the organization again this year. Businesses or individuals who would like to donate may call Rodger Brown at 587-3932 or Cathy Ring 512-560-5886. Contributions can be sent to: USA Veterans, P.O. Box 840, Cape Girardeau, MO 63702-0840.