- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)18
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Missouri House endorses ads on school buses
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- Missouri House members have approved legislation that would allow advertising on school buses to help districts cover transportation costs.
The legislation would allow school districts to lease space on the inside and exterior of school buses for private advertisements. Ads could not feature gambling, alcohol or tobacco. And the state Board of Education would be responsible for developing rules for the school bus ads.
Districts would be required to spend half the income from the ads for transportation costs.
The House passed the bill Thursday on a vote of 83-65, just one favorable vote more than the minimum needed for approval. The measure now moves to the state Senate.