- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- Jackson police describe night of anger, car crashes, drug possession by 18-year-old (1/22/17)5
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)8
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Local students to perform with choir at inauguration (1/19/17)3
- Southeast to lose $3.5 million from state in budget cuts (1/18/17)21
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
The Second Amendment
For the person wanting more gun control and registration, you were asleep in history class. Do these names mean anything: Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin, Mussolini, Mao, Chavez? All power hungry dictators and communists. They had gun control too, which led to registration then confiscation and inevitably slavery. Look at all the countries with the strictest gun laws, their crime rates are astronomical; only criminals have guns. (Read the book "More Guns Less Crime.") Kennesaw County, Ga., had a law that required every citizen to own a firearm. Their crime rate is below the national average.
The founding fathers made the Second Amendment No. 2 for a reason, to defend the rest. The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. It's in there to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government. They don't teach this anymore for a reason.
Look at what our government has become, especially under Obama. Talk about tyranny.
How did we win our independence? Citizens with their own firearms making a stand at Bunker Hill against British tyranny was the start.
Our men and women in uniform took an oath to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. For the past 100 years it has been under assault from both.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence." -- George Washington.
I will end with a sentence from former NRA president Charleton Heston in 2000: "From my cold, dead hands."
TODD BEUSSINK, Jackson