- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Say Cheese: The story behind the famous sandwiches at the East Perry Fair (9/22/17)
- Anne Limbaugh dies, leaves legacy of caring (9/22/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)3
The Second Amendment
For the person wanting more gun control and registration, you were asleep in history class. Do these names mean anything: Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin, Mussolini, Mao, Chavez? All power hungry dictators and communists. They had gun control too, which led to registration then confiscation and inevitably slavery. Look at all the countries with the strictest gun laws, their crime rates are astronomical; only criminals have guns. (Read the book "More Guns Less Crime.") Kennesaw County, Ga., had a law that required every citizen to own a firearm. Their crime rate is below the national average.
The founding fathers made the Second Amendment No. 2 for a reason, to defend the rest. The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. It's in there to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government. They don't teach this anymore for a reason.
Look at what our government has become, especially under Obama. Talk about tyranny.
How did we win our independence? Citizens with their own firearms making a stand at Bunker Hill against British tyranny was the start.
Our men and women in uniform took an oath to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. For the past 100 years it has been under assault from both.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence." -- George Washington.
I will end with a sentence from former NRA president Charleton Heston in 2000: "From my cold, dead hands."
TODD BEUSSINK, Jackson