- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)12
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)14
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)14
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)24
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Cairo man pleads guilty to bank murders (3/17/17)1
Way of the Cross
Special events are being held this week to mark Holy Week, the days leading up to Easter. One way Christians around the world remember Good Friday, the Friday before Easter, is through cross walks. These events recount the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
The Downtown Council of Churches in Cape Girardeau will hold its 12th cross walk on Friday. Traditionally, participants gather at a starting point and make their way through the downtown area carrying a cross, stopping for Scripture readings and prayer along the way.
This year's cross walk will start at noon at the Common Pleas courtyard gazebo. Participants will proceed on the route, making 14 stops along the way.
Stops for this year's cross walk include: The Southeast Missourian, the Cape Girardeau Convention and Visitors Bureau and Old Town Cape, the United Way of Southeast Missouri, the Discovery Playhouse, Homeless Outreach and Thrift Shop, the Esquire Theatre, Trinity Schools, the Kingdom Kids, the fire and police departments, F.C.C. Women's & Adolescent Addiction Treatment, the federal courthouse, city hall, Rose Garden and Common Pleas Courthouse steps.
Should there be rain, the event will be held at Old St. Vincent's Church on Spanish Street.
Thank you to those who organize the cross walk. The Way of the Cross event is a blessing to many looking for an opportunity to remember the significance of Good Friday and the Lord's resurrection.