- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)25
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
Way of the Cross
Special events are being held this week to mark Holy Week, the days leading up to Easter. One way Christians around the world remember Good Friday, the Friday before Easter, is through cross walks. These events recount the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
The Downtown Council of Churches in Cape Girardeau will hold its 12th cross walk on Friday. Traditionally, participants gather at a starting point and make their way through the downtown area carrying a cross, stopping for Scripture readings and prayer along the way.
This year's cross walk will start at noon at the Common Pleas courtyard gazebo. Participants will proceed on the route, making 14 stops along the way.
Stops for this year's cross walk include: The Southeast Missourian, the Cape Girardeau Convention and Visitors Bureau and Old Town Cape, the United Way of Southeast Missouri, the Discovery Playhouse, Homeless Outreach and Thrift Shop, the Esquire Theatre, Trinity Schools, the Kingdom Kids, the fire and police departments, F.C.C. Women's & Adolescent Addiction Treatment, the federal courthouse, city hall, Rose Garden and Common Pleas Courthouse steps.
Should there be rain, the event will be held at Old St. Vincent's Church on Spanish Street.
Thank you to those who organize the cross walk. The Way of the Cross event is a blessing to many looking for an opportunity to remember the significance of Good Friday and the Lord's resurrection.