- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)34
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
Way of the Cross
Special events are being held this week to mark Holy Week, the days leading up to Easter. One way Christians around the world remember Good Friday, the Friday before Easter, is through cross walks. These events recount the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
The Downtown Council of Churches in Cape Girardeau will hold its 12th cross walk on Friday. Traditionally, participants gather at a starting point and make their way through the downtown area carrying a cross, stopping for Scripture readings and prayer along the way.
This year's cross walk will start at noon at the Common Pleas courtyard gazebo. Participants will proceed on the route, making 14 stops along the way.
Stops for this year's cross walk include: The Southeast Missourian, the Cape Girardeau Convention and Visitors Bureau and Old Town Cape, the United Way of Southeast Missouri, the Discovery Playhouse, Homeless Outreach and Thrift Shop, the Esquire Theatre, Trinity Schools, the Kingdom Kids, the fire and police departments, F.C.C. Women's & Adolescent Addiction Treatment, the federal courthouse, city hall, Rose Garden and Common Pleas Courthouse steps.
Should there be rain, the event will be held at Old St. Vincent's Church on Spanish Street.
Thank you to those who organize the cross walk. The Way of the Cross event is a blessing to many looking for an opportunity to remember the significance of Good Friday and the Lord's resurrection.