- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Way of the Cross
Special events are being held this week to mark Holy Week, the days leading up to Easter. One way Christians around the world remember Good Friday, the Friday before Easter, is through cross walks. These events recount the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
The Downtown Council of Churches in Cape Girardeau will hold its 12th cross walk on Friday. Traditionally, participants gather at a starting point and make their way through the downtown area carrying a cross, stopping for Scripture readings and prayer along the way.
This year's cross walk will start at noon at the Common Pleas courtyard gazebo. Participants will proceed on the route, making 14 stops along the way.
Stops for this year's cross walk include: The Southeast Missourian, the Cape Girardeau Convention and Visitors Bureau and Old Town Cape, the United Way of Southeast Missouri, the Discovery Playhouse, Homeless Outreach and Thrift Shop, the Esquire Theatre, Trinity Schools, the Kingdom Kids, the fire and police departments, F.C.C. Women's & Adolescent Addiction Treatment, the federal courthouse, city hall, Rose Garden and Common Pleas Courthouse steps.
Should there be rain, the event will be held at Old St. Vincent's Church on Spanish Street.
Thank you to those who organize the cross walk. The Way of the Cross event is a blessing to many looking for an opportunity to remember the significance of Good Friday and the Lord's resurrection.