- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Candidate questionnaire: Paul Stoner
NAME: Paul Stoner
PLACE OF BIRTH: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina
SPOUSE, CHILDREN'S NAMES:
Daughters-Montana and Mackenzie Stoner
OCCUPATION: Operations Manager
EMPLOYER: FedEx Express
BUSINESSES OWNED, ALL OR PART: N/A
PREVIOUS OFFICES HELD OR SOUGHT:
None. I am not a politician. I am just a parent who wants to ensure our children get the best education possible.
WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE FACING THE JACKSON PUBLIC SCHOOLS?
As always the most important issue facing any school is how to provide the best education possible for their students.
WHAT IN YOUR BACKGROUND OR EDUCATION MAKES YOU QUALIFIED FOR THIS OFFICE?
My years in management have given me experience and knowledge that I feel will allow my to serve on the board and represent our community well.
DO YOU FAVOR CONSTRUCTING A NEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL? WHY OR WHY NOT?
I am in favor of building a new elementary school. I feel like economically it is a good time to build. If we are going to see continued increase in enrollment then we need to plan ahead to handle the increasing number of students.
I think that if the administration is open and honest with the public about the motives behind building the school that they will get the support needed to build it.
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON A POSSIBLE WAIVER TO PROVISIONS OF NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND? WHAT ARE SOME WAYS TO ENSURE SCHOOLS ARE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT?
I feel like though No Child Left Behind had good intentions it has created some undesirable situations. I am not sure the current waiver is the way to go though as it may come with too many conditions attached to it.
I am not sure what the best ways are to hold schools accountable but I am looking forward to working with the administration and staff to do all we can to ensure we are producing graduates that are prepared to take on the world once they leave our schools.