- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Candidate questionnaire: Mark Gremaud
NAME: Mark Gremaud
PLACE OF BIRTH: Perryville, MO
SPOUSE, CHILDREN'S NAMES:
Spouse: Patti, Children: Kelsea 23, Courtney 20, Trenton 17
EMPLOYER: Gremaud Farms
BUSINESSES OWNED, ALL OR PART: co-owner with siblings
PREVIOUS OFFICES HELD OR SOUGHT:
currently President of Bois Brule Levee and Drainage District
WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE FACING PERRYVILLE PUBLIC SCHOOLS?
After attending all but one board meeting since January of 2011 and all of the Pirate Pride Initiative meetings this school year, I believe that facilities is one of the most important issues facing the district. Many buildings, campus roads, parking lots and sidewalks are in need of repair. The district also continues to grow in size which is causing over crowding in the existing areas. Teacher salaries is another issue. Perry County School District 32 teachers have not received a raise in many years. Keeping and attracting the best teachers is extremely important to having the best school possible for the students of Perry County. I also believe that more open communication is needed between the school board members, citizens of Perry County and the school staff. All of these issues need to be addressed in a financially efficient and responsible manner.
WHAT IN YOUR BACKGROUND OR EDUCATION MAKES YOU QUALIFIED FOR THIS OFFICE?
In my duties on the Bois Brule Levee and Drainage District I have had the opportunity to work with and for a variety of people. I have had the opportunity to work closely with US Representative JoAnn Emerson, US Senator Roy Blunt and their staff as well as the US Army Corp of Engineers. I have had to stand up for land owners and industries of the Bois Brule Levee and Drainage District to make sure that all decisions made are the most beneficial for the majority of people. I have had to work with a budget to finance many projects. I am not afraid to voice my opinion or the opinion of others. I am not easily led and am able to formulate my own ideas. I am not afraid to stand up for what I believe. My ability to think through decisions before rushing into things could be very useful to the school board.
Another experience that I feel has prepared me to serve on the board is that I am the only candidate who has attended all monthly school board meetings since January 2011 with the exception of the August 2011 meeting that fell on my daughter's birthday. I have closely observed the process and feel that I am very familiar with the way things work. With all of these experiences, I feel ready to serve the residents of Perry County.