- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Tea party PAC backs Steelman in Mo. Senate race
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- A national tea party group has endorsed former state Treasurer Sarah Steelman in Missouri's Republican U.S. Senate primary. But numerous Missouri tea party groups say they are not taking sides in the race.
The Tea Party Express cited Steelman's conservative economic record and past experience in office while saying Thursday that she would be the best candidate to take on Democratic U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill in the November election.
Other prominent Republicans in the race include U.S. Rep. Todd Akin and businessman John Brunner. Both also have highlighted their conservative credentials.
The Tea Party Express is a political action committee based in Sacramento, Calif.
A coalition of 17 Missouri tea party groups released a statement Thursday stressing that they had not endorsed anyone in the Senate race.