- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)3
- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- How the story of one dog is helping others (9/14/17)1
- Eyewitnesses testify about fatal shooting; men were using drugs, alcohol (9/14/17)
- Jury finds Harris guilty of murder, 3 other counts (9/15/17)4
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)1
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
Last week a record number of students participated in the 56th annual Southeast Missouri Regional Science Fair held at the Show Me Center. The students, 462 in total, represented 33 area schools.
From biochemistry to engineering to medicine and health, among other categories, students not only brought their project to the competition but were also prepared to explain what led them to the idea, their interest in the category and their discoveries.
Fair committee member and judge Marilyn Peters told the Southeast Missourian that she was impressed with this year's entries. "You have good, very good, and some even outstanding," she said. "As a judge, there aren't many projects you can walk by and discount immediately."
We understand that teachers must cover a certain amount of material during the school year. But it's good to see students go above and beyond the required norm and compete in the science fair. Likewise, thanks go to the teachers who encourage their students to make the extra effort. Participation in this event, among others, encourages creative thinking and benefits students as they advance in their academic and professional careers.
To see the full list of science fair winners, look at page 9A from this past Sunday's Southeast Missourian.
Congratulations to all of the students.