- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)3
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Jury finds Harris guilty of murder, 3 other counts (9/15/17)4
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Young entrepreneurs add fresh ideas, unique offerings for area market (9/18/17)
Great job on Bloomfield Road
As a resident of Bloomfield Road, I would like to congratulate our city for the outstanding job in rebuilding this main artery in our community. City officials not only took into consideration the traffic needs of our area, but also took great care to make sure that aesthetic values were maintained in this beautiful corridor.
Rather than using major road building techniques, they listened to the concerns of the residents in the area and used vertical retaining walls which were attractively faced with stone. The vertical retaining walls allowed the retention of many more trees and they will soon grow together to restore the tree cover that makes this street so attractive. Also, rather than sidewalks, the hiking and biking trail saved many large trees by allowing it to meander through the forest instead of clear cutting the trees beside the street. Although these changes took additional time, we now have a road that will reflect the values of this community for generations to come.
I would like to personally thank our city administration, including the city manager, city engineer and city staff, as well as the contractor for doing such a fine job.
EARL NORMAN, Cape Girardeau