- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Mother and daughter injured in I-55 crash
A mother and daughter were injured in a rollover crash Friday morning on Interstate 55.
Cape Girardeau fire chief Rick Ennis said the two were trapped inside the vehicle for about 15 minutes, but when crews arrived on scene, both were conscious and talking and appeared to be only slightly injured. Emergency crews removed all four doors of the tan SUV to extricate the mother and daughter. They were taken by ambulance to Saint Francis Medical Center with nonlife-threatening injuries.
Scott City police on the scene said the crash happened when the mother swerved out of the left northbound lane at mile marker 90. She ran off the road slightly when she attempted to change over into the right lane and came close to hitting another vehicle in her blind spot. The SUV rolled onto its roof and landed facing southwest in the center of the northbound lane.
Emergency crews from Cape Girardeau and Scott City responded to the scene around 9:30 a.m. Traffic in the northbound lane was backed up for miles from near the airport to several miles south of Scott City immediately following the crash until crews cleared the SUV from the road around 10:15 a.m.
Scott City police chief David Leeman declined to release the names of the mother and daughter pending completion of the crash report.
Interstate 55, Scott City, MO