- 3 charged with burglarizing Scott City bar (10/14/16)4
- West Park Mall to be closed Thanksgiving (10/14/16)2
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)33
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Cape Girardeau County: A great place to grab a bite (10/14/16)1
- Man charged after cops try to cuff him in his sleep (10/14/16)9
- Three weeks and then what? (10/18/16)1
- Suspected attacker of Southeast student apprehended (10/19/16)5
- Mom jailed with daughter after mailing drug to her (10/16/16)
Actors take the stage
On March 8, 9 and 10, Cape Girardeau Central High School's Red Dagger Drama Club will bring "Fiddler on the Roof" to the Central Junior High School's stage. Under the vocal and acting direction of Mrs. Cindy Bradshaw, Pit Orchestra director Mr. Steve Schaffner and technical director Mr. Joe Bradshaw, this production, which first opened on Broadway in 1964, will provide the audience with an evening of fine acting, music and dance.
This is my sixth production with Mrs. Bradshaw and my third lead. Assuming the role of Tevye is a big responsibility. The father of five daughters struggling with his family's Jewish traditions and the changes that the world is forcing upon them is a complex role with deep meaning. I feel personal pressure to succeed and do well while setting an example and help our newest actors figure out how to deliver lines, how to move and how to increase their acting skills. I frequently hear myself saying to first-timers what Mrs. Bradshaw says, "What does the line really mean? What are you really saying?" I can give hints but it is up to them to learn how to deliver their lines; it is a great experience to see them succeed and witness their pride as their acting skills increase.
It is an honor to be the lead in this musical, and I hope you will come see first-time and experienced actors and musicians share the stage.
ALEX DUNN, Class of 2012, Cape Girardeau