- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)7
- Japanese restaurant up and running; owner surprised by fondness of sushi here (2/24/17)1
- SoutheastHEALTH, Washington University School of Medicine announce collaboration (2/24/17)21
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)48
- City issues precautionary boil order near Arena Park (2/23/17)
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- $22M bond issue would alter Jackson schools (2/22/17)13
- Former KFVS12 reporter talks about recovery from eating disorder (2/23/17)11
Actors take the stage
On March 8, 9 and 10, Cape Girardeau Central High School's Red Dagger Drama Club will bring "Fiddler on the Roof" to the Central Junior High School's stage. Under the vocal and acting direction of Mrs. Cindy Bradshaw, Pit Orchestra director Mr. Steve Schaffner and technical director Mr. Joe Bradshaw, this production, which first opened on Broadway in 1964, will provide the audience with an evening of fine acting, music and dance.
This is my sixth production with Mrs. Bradshaw and my third lead. Assuming the role of Tevye is a big responsibility. The father of five daughters struggling with his family's Jewish traditions and the changes that the world is forcing upon them is a complex role with deep meaning. I feel personal pressure to succeed and do well while setting an example and help our newest actors figure out how to deliver lines, how to move and how to increase their acting skills. I frequently hear myself saying to first-timers what Mrs. Bradshaw says, "What does the line really mean? What are you really saying?" I can give hints but it is up to them to learn how to deliver their lines; it is a great experience to see them succeed and witness their pride as their acting skills increase.
It is an honor to be the lead in this musical, and I hope you will come see first-time and experienced actors and musicians share the stage.
ALEX DUNN, Class of 2012, Cape Girardeau