- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)25
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
Socialism vs. freedom
Why are we talking about contraceptives? Why do we have federal agents in grade school lunch rooms? Because our federal government and this administration has overstepped mightily.
Surely with all the turmoil in the world, with our debt exploding, with our entitlements going broke, with terrorists on our border, with unemployment still a major problem, there is enough to keep the Obama administration busy. But no, this administration wants to dictate what happens in our bedrooms and our lunch rooms. And they want the 50 percent of citizens who pay taxes to foot the bill.
The federal government has no business in our health care or in our lunchrooms. Nobody is going to take your contraceptives away. I just don't want to pay for them. And as far as school lunches are concerned, surely local districts can decide what to serve. I hope everyone realizes how serious this next election is. We will either continue down this socialist mindset or stop it in its tracks. Socialism does not work with freedom.
LINDA REUTZEL, Cape Girardeau