- Plans in the works to save Esquire Theater on Broadway in Cape (2/21/18)2
- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Bell City arrest, Scott City incident highlight high-alert status following Fla. school shooting (2/20/18)4
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)11
- As February winds down, Chaffee looking forward to reopening of ice cream shop (2/21/18)1
- Scott City puts school on lockdown; officials say alleged threat 'not credible' (2/21/18)2
- The heart of the matter: Clinic helps patients rise above congestive heart failure (2/17/18)
- Local foodies share most romantic places (2/22/18)
Socialism vs. freedom
Why are we talking about contraceptives? Why do we have federal agents in grade school lunch rooms? Because our federal government and this administration has overstepped mightily.
Surely with all the turmoil in the world, with our debt exploding, with our entitlements going broke, with terrorists on our border, with unemployment still a major problem, there is enough to keep the Obama administration busy. But no, this administration wants to dictate what happens in our bedrooms and our lunch rooms. And they want the 50 percent of citizens who pay taxes to foot the bill.
The federal government has no business in our health care or in our lunchrooms. Nobody is going to take your contraceptives away. I just don't want to pay for them. And as far as school lunches are concerned, surely local districts can decide what to serve. I hope everyone realizes how serious this next election is. We will either continue down this socialist mindset or stop it in its tracks. Socialism does not work with freedom.
LINDA REUTZEL, Cape Girardeau