- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)22
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)10
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
Heart for Africa
A cause that this community has embraced will soon have an even greater connection with Cape Girardeau.
It was recently announced that Heart for Africa, a Christian not-for-profit organization that seeks to help those in Swaziland, Africa, will relocate its national headquarters to Cape Girardeau. Jimmy Wilferth, a Cape Girardeau native who now serves as the organization's executive director, will also assume the role of U.S. president of operations for the organization.
Founded in 2006, Cape Girardeau's connection with Heart for Africa is multifaceted. Local fundraisers in the past two years have resulted in $200,000 in funds raised for the organization. Approximately 120 local people have made the trip to Swaziland to help in the efforts. Individuals, churches and businesses have all played a role in the organization's success.
Hope for Africa's annual fundraiser is set for March 10 at The Venue in Cape Girardeau. Proceeds will assist in bringing water to Project Canaan in Swaziland.
To purchase tickets for the dinner, which are being sold in advance, go to Chap Arnold Insurance, 875 N. Kingshighway in Cape Girardeau. For more ticket information, contact Chrisy Wilferth at 579-8685 or by email at email@example.com.