- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)12
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- 'Love, not hate': Area residents gather to sing, talk about racial issues after violence in Charlottesville (8/14/17)89
Heart for Africa
A cause that this community has embraced will soon have an even greater connection with Cape Girardeau.
It was recently announced that Heart for Africa, a Christian not-for-profit organization that seeks to help those in Swaziland, Africa, will relocate its national headquarters to Cape Girardeau. Jimmy Wilferth, a Cape Girardeau native who now serves as the organization's executive director, will also assume the role of U.S. president of operations for the organization.
Founded in 2006, Cape Girardeau's connection with Heart for Africa is multifaceted. Local fundraisers in the past two years have resulted in $200,000 in funds raised for the organization. Approximately 120 local people have made the trip to Swaziland to help in the efforts. Individuals, churches and businesses have all played a role in the organization's success.
Hope for Africa's annual fundraiser is set for March 10 at The Venue in Cape Girardeau. Proceeds will assist in bringing water to Project Canaan in Swaziland.
To purchase tickets for the dinner, which are being sold in advance, go to Chap Arnold Insurance, 875 N. Kingshighway in Cape Girardeau. For more ticket information, contact Chrisy Wilferth at 579-8685 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.