- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Six local wrestlers win opening matches at state
Four Jackson wrestlers won their Class 4 first-round matches at the Missouri Wrestling Championships in Columbia, Mo., on Thursday.
Notre Dame saw two of its four representatives advance with pins in Class 2 action, while Central's lone representative lost his opening match in Class 3.
The Indians took six qualifiers to the meet, and four remained alive after the first day.
Jackson freshman Jarrett Reisenbichler (47-3) won by major decision against Brendan Hachtel of Francis Howell North, winning 13-5 in the opening-round match at 106 pounds. Reisenbichler will face Nixa sophomore Joe Velliquette (48-1) in today's quarterfinals.
Jackson junior Kodi Byrd (41-7) claimed a 4-1 victory over sophomore Luke Lepper of Lee's Summit North at 113. Byrd will face sophomore Lawton Brenna (38-9) of Holt in the quarterfinals.
Jackson sophomore Dylan Rush (38-14) advanced with a forfeit over freshman Rourke Penn of Ft. Zumwalt West at 145. Rush next will face Rockbridge senior Trent Johnson (40-8).
Jackson senior Cody Morgan (43-4) moved on with an injury default against Ritenour senior Ramsey Beale at 170. Morgan will face Blue Springs senior Chris Lattner (38-11) in the quarterfinals.
Jackson senior Jacob Colyott was pinned by Park Hill junior Nick Harper (29-18) at the 5:42 mark of their first-round match at 152. Colyott (40-9) lost his wrestleback match by a 9-1 major decision to Austin Eads of Blue Springs South.
Jackson senior Ben Rushin was pinned by Rockhurst senior James Contreras (27-9) at the 36-second mark of their 195-pound match. Rushin (36-11) faced Parkway North senior Chris Carter in the wrestleback and lost 14-3.
Notre Dame junior Trenton Gross (26-12) pinned Kirksville freshman Branden Beeler (26-27) in 1:52 in their 120-pound match. Gross will face Odessa senior Jack Shull (42-10) in the quarterfinals.
Bulldogs 182-pound junior Trever Foltz improved to 43-3 with a pin of Monett sophomore Matt Wentz in 1:41. Foltz will face undefeated Kirksville senior Travis Lang (52-0) in the quarterfinals. Lang, a two-time state champion, also was unbeaten as a junior at 160 pounds and won the 152 title as a sophomore after finishing third as a freshman.
Notre Dame junior Alex Elsey was pinned at the 31-second mark of his 160-pound match against Reed Springs senior Tyler White. Elsey (35-18) then was eliminated by Priory senior Van Thomas (37-9) in the wrestleback.
Notre Dame sophomore Caleb Heisserer was pinned in his first-round 113-pound match against Chillicothe freshman Kyler Sewell (37-12). Heisserer (37-14) defeated Westminster sophomore Dominic Francescelli (11-11) with an 8-5 decision in the wrestleback.
Central senior Austin Martin lost a 12-7 decision in his first-round match with Fort Zumwalt South junior Nicholas Smith (44-10) at 145. Martin (29-15) won his wrestleback match 4-2 against Republic sophomore Dustin Eby (39-15).