- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Hooked on Science: Straw instrument
Have you ever wanted to make a musical instrument? All you need is a pair of scissors and a straw.
* Plastic drinking straw
STEP 1: Flatten one end of the straw.
STEP 2: Using the scissors, cut a triangle into the flattened end of the straw.
STEP 3: Put the cut end of the straw in your mouth and blow.
Sound is a form of energy transmitted by an object vibrating. As you blow into the straw you create vibrations. This back-and-forth motion travels through the air and is heard as sound.
Jason Lindsey is a science outreach educator with Hooked on Science. Check out his website www.hookedonscience.org for webcasts and experiments that might get you hooked on science. Send him your science questions at jlindseyhookedonscience.com.