- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
National Merit Finalists named
Two Cape Girardeau Central High School seniors have been announced as finalists in an annual academic competition for recognition and scholarships.
Veronica Ely, daughter of Candace Ely, and Lizzie Nussbaum, daughter of Mark and Sarah Nussbaum, are being recognized for their scores on the 2011 Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test. According to the corporation that runs the competition, their scores show exceptional academic ability and potential for success in rigorous college studies. Students selected as finalists are the highest-scoring entrants in each state and represent less than 1 percent of each state's high school seniors.
Ely and Nussbaum are the 90th and 91st students of the school to receive the recognition.