- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Joe L. McDowell, 75, of Fruitland, a prominent farmer and cattleman, passed away Sunday, Feb. 12, 2012, at Southeast Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
He was born July 1, 1936, in Cape Girardeau, to Roy and Roberta Stevenson McDowell. He and Erma McLain were married April 6, 1958, at Emanuel United Church of Christ in Jackson.
Survivors include his loving wife of nearly 54 years, Erma of Jackson; two daughters, Debbie (Robert) Gandy of Paducah, Ky., Carol McDowell of Cape Girardeau; and a sister, Katherine (T. Gale) Seabaugh of Jackson.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
Friends may call from 3 to 8 p.m. Thursday and from 9:30 a.m. to time of service Friday at the chapel of McCombs Funeral Home and Cremation Center in Jackson.
The funeral will be at 10:30 a.m. Friday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Sam Roethemeyer officiating. Interment will follow in Pleasant Hill Cemetery at Fruitland.
Memorials may take the form of contributions to the Pleasant Hill Cemetery Association.
Online condolences may be sent to the family by visiting www.mccombsfuneralhome.com.