- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- Here's what's being built next to Chick-fil-A in Cape (1/18/18)1
- Word to your superintendent: Glass rocks Vanilla Ice parody to announce cancellation (1/13/18)3
- Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce recognizes commitment to community at annual awards banquet (1/13/18)
- Poultry in motion: 4-H participants take first in nation with barbecue skills (1/13/18)1
- City of Oran water rates violate state law, auditors find; report details financial-management problems (1/13/18)2
- Cape lands new summer-league baseball team; Capaha Field to see major upgrades (1/20/18)3
- 3 mayor candidates in Scott City; former mayor Porch files for council seat (1/18/18)
- Redhawk Food Pantry helping Southeast students, employees who need assistance with food, supplies (1/19/18)2
Today we celebrate Valentine's Day. Many couples will share a meal, send flowers and chocolate, or give a special card to his or her significant other. While love in general is celebrated today, the holiday is centered around marriage.
In the third century, Emperor Claudius II outlawed marriage. Recognizing this injustice, Valentine, a priest in Rome, continued to marry couples in secret. After finding out about this, Claudius sentenced Valentine to death on Feb. 14 around A.D. 270.
Thankfully, getting married today is not something that must be done in secret. In fact, marriage is to be celebrated.
At 10 a.m. today, the Schnucks/River Radio Valentine's Party will be held at the Arena Building in Cape Girardeau. Couples who have been married for 50 years or more are invited to attend this free event.
The benefits of being married have been well-documented. From overall happiness, to longevity, to financial and family stability, marriage can be a blessing. The couples attending the party at the Arena Building are a good example of love and commitment. May we all be so fortunate to share this kind of love with the special person in our lives.