- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Out of the past 2/13/12
25 years ago: Feb. 13, 1987
Planning for a veterans nursing home in Cape Girardeau County continues, with an announcement coming from Gov. John Ashcroft that the design of the $8.5 million facility is underway; those plans should be finished in November.
PUXICO, Mo. -- Puxico farmer Wayne Cryts, who came within 8,000 votes of unseating Republican Rep. Bill Emerson last November, has formed a "Cryts for ‘88 Club" and has plans to challenge Emerson again next year.
50 years ago: Feb. 13, 1962
It was agreed at a public meeting last night in Malden, Mo., to form a committee made up of educational, civic and political leaders from five Bootheel counties to study the question of establishing a branch of Southeast Missouri State College at Malden.
Richard H. Amberg, publisher of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat, will speak to Boy Scouts here Sunday at the Southeast Missouri Council's second annual Eagle Scout Court of Honor; 84 boys from 14 counties have earned the Eagle award.
75 years ago: Feb. 13, 1937
Two highly valued scrolls, the property of the Jewish congregation here, were destroyed, along with other equipment, in the fire that destroyed the Community Clubhouse at Fairground Park Thursday; these parchment scrolls came from the Old World, one from Europe and the other from the Orient; since 1932, the congregation has been holding its services at the clubhouse.
L.A. Mudd, who has the contract for clearing the site where the Bartels Store building was destroyed by fire Feb. 4, has sold the brick, most of it to a lumber company; most of the walls will soon be taken down; Mudd is to have the site cleared within 30 days.
100 years ago: Feb. 13, 1912
Three new buildings have been contracted for on North Pacific Street, two of them being two-story frame dwellings for renting by Dr. C.G. Ruff; they will be on the east side of Pacific, just north of Normal Place; just across the street, conductor Emil Sebastian of the Frisco will build a frame residence on the site of his former home, which burned down a few months ago.
R.E.L. Lamkin returns from New York, where he has been buying goods for the Buckner-Ragsdale stores; Mrs. Lamkin, who has been visiting at Marshall, Mo., returns with him.
-- Sharon K. Sanders