- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Caruthersville, Mo., woman badly injured when hit by reported drunken driver
CARUTHERSVILLE, Mo. -- A woman is in serious condition after being hit by a man accused of drunken driving Saturday.
At 11:50 p.m. Saturday, Caruthersville police responded to a report of a vehicle accident involving a pedestrian. According to a news release from the Caruthersville Police Department, at the scene they found Krissie Payne, 40, of Caruthersville lying in the street unresponsive.
Payne was airlifted to the Elvis Presley Trauma Center in Memphis, Tenn., for treatment of her injuries.
Officers subsequently arrested William "Joey" Watkins, 34, of Caruthersville.
Watkins was taken to the Pemiscot County Justice Center where he was charged with second-degree assault and operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated resulting in an injury. Early Monday he was being held without bond.
The investigation was turned over to the Missouri State Highway Patrol's Division of Drug and Crime Control, the police department reported.