- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Locals awarded Thatcher award
Patsy Johnson and Laverne Nothdurft were honored with the Thatcher award and pin signed by the president general and the National Chairman of the Junior American Citizen Committee. The theme was "Preserving America's Past." Fourth-, fifth- and sixth-grade students were involved. Members who remembered Pearl Harbor shared their stories, which were compiled.
Hovis graduates basic military training
Air Force Airman Caleb R. Hovis graduated from basic military training at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio. He completed an intensive, eight-week program that included training in military discipline and studies, Air Force core values, physical fitness, and basic warfare principles and skills. Airmen who complete basic training earn four credits toward an associate in applied science degree through the Community College of the Air Force. Hovis is the son of Lisa and Deron Hovis of Jackson. He is a 2011 graduate of Jackson High School.
Southeast ranks among best hospitals
Southeast Hospital ranks among the nation's Best Regional Hospitals for 2011-2012, according to U.S. News & World Report. Southeast is the only hospital in Southeast Missouri and one of only nine in Missouri to receive the national recognition. The magazine has singled out 247 nonmetropolitan hospitals for their high level of medical care. The magazine singled out Southeast Hospital for being "high performing" in urology. J. Russell Felker, MD, of Cape Girardeau Urology Associates said the recognition is a credit to the efforts of both the hospital and the medical practice.