- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- Aldi store reopens after renovations (11/14/17)3
- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- Residents view pedestrian bridge as eyesore; city manager says it's designed to rust (11/13/17)8
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Cape native co-directs Thanksgiving-related indie film, 'Drinksgiving' (11/17/17)
- The Tungsten Groove to release first album featuring original songs (11/17/17)
- Son of Westboro Baptist Church patriarch discusses abuse, faith (11/15/17)6
- Federal jury finds surgeon Fonn guilty of kickback scheme (11/10/17)4
A city's quality of life is in part due to the volunteers, leaders and businesses who step forward to make a difference. Each year the Jackson Chamber of Commerce recognizes several of these individuals for their efforts.
David Hitt was the recipient of the R.A. Fulenwider Meritorious Community Service Award, an honor voted on by past recipients of the award.
Hitt was recognized in July with the Southeast Missourian Spirit of America Award. In addition to being a Purple Heart recipient, he has served his community as a city alderman, a board of director for the Cape Girardeau Area Magnet and in several other organizations.
Other chamber award winners are:
* Industry of the Year: Signature Packaging and Paper, owned by Dennis Vinson.
* Business of the Year: HealthPoint Fitness and Rehab, operated by SoutheastHEALTH.
* Small Business of the Year: Realty Executives of Cape County, owned by Bill and Susan Cole.
* Chamber Ambassador of the Year: Jodi Brunke, account executive at IESI.
* Community Service Award: Jackson School District.
Congratulations to this year's award winners and the many others who are also leaders in Jackson and the surrounding areas. Your community service and business leadership help make Jackson a great place to live, work and raise a family.