- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)4
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)22
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- Gender-neutral restrooms now available at Southeast (8/18/16)38
A city's quality of life is in part due to the volunteers, leaders and businesses who step forward to make a difference. Each year the Jackson Chamber of Commerce recognizes several of these individuals for their efforts.
David Hitt was the recipient of the R.A. Fulenwider Meritorious Community Service Award, an honor voted on by past recipients of the award.
Hitt was recognized in July with the Southeast Missourian Spirit of America Award. In addition to being a Purple Heart recipient, he has served his community as a city alderman, a board of director for the Cape Girardeau Area Magnet and in several other organizations.
Other chamber award winners are:
* Industry of the Year: Signature Packaging and Paper, owned by Dennis Vinson.
* Business of the Year: HealthPoint Fitness and Rehab, operated by SoutheastHEALTH.
* Small Business of the Year: Realty Executives of Cape County, owned by Bill and Susan Cole.
* Chamber Ambassador of the Year: Jodi Brunke, account executive at IESI.
* Community Service Award: Jackson School District.
Congratulations to this year's award winners and the many others who are also leaders in Jackson and the surrounding areas. Your community service and business leadership help make Jackson a great place to live, work and raise a family.