- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)2
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)30
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)17
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
A city's quality of life is in part due to the volunteers, leaders and businesses who step forward to make a difference. Each year the Jackson Chamber of Commerce recognizes several of these individuals for their efforts.
David Hitt was the recipient of the R.A. Fulenwider Meritorious Community Service Award, an honor voted on by past recipients of the award.
Hitt was recognized in July with the Southeast Missourian Spirit of America Award. In addition to being a Purple Heart recipient, he has served his community as a city alderman, a board of director for the Cape Girardeau Area Magnet and in several other organizations.
Other chamber award winners are:
* Industry of the Year: Signature Packaging and Paper, owned by Dennis Vinson.
* Business of the Year: HealthPoint Fitness and Rehab, operated by SoutheastHEALTH.
* Small Business of the Year: Realty Executives of Cape County, owned by Bill and Susan Cole.
* Chamber Ambassador of the Year: Jodi Brunke, account executive at IESI.
* Community Service Award: Jackson School District.
Congratulations to this year's award winners and the many others who are also leaders in Jackson and the surrounding areas. Your community service and business leadership help make Jackson a great place to live, work and raise a family.