- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- PBS crew filming in Cape; Glenn House to be featured (8/17/17)
- Scott City Council reinstates police chief (8/16/17)1
- Near miss: Woman 'lucky' following train incident (8/16/17)
A city's quality of life is in part due to the volunteers, leaders and businesses who step forward to make a difference. Each year the Jackson Chamber of Commerce recognizes several of these individuals for their efforts.
David Hitt was the recipient of the R.A. Fulenwider Meritorious Community Service Award, an honor voted on by past recipients of the award.
Hitt was recognized in July with the Southeast Missourian Spirit of America Award. In addition to being a Purple Heart recipient, he has served his community as a city alderman, a board of director for the Cape Girardeau Area Magnet and in several other organizations.
Other chamber award winners are:
* Industry of the Year: Signature Packaging and Paper, owned by Dennis Vinson.
* Business of the Year: HealthPoint Fitness and Rehab, operated by SoutheastHEALTH.
* Small Business of the Year: Realty Executives of Cape County, owned by Bill and Susan Cole.
* Chamber Ambassador of the Year: Jodi Brunke, account executive at IESI.
* Community Service Award: Jackson School District.
Congratulations to this year's award winners and the many others who are also leaders in Jackson and the surrounding areas. Your community service and business leadership help make Jackson a great place to live, work and raise a family.