- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
A city's quality of life is in part due to the volunteers, leaders and businesses who step forward to make a difference. Each year the Jackson Chamber of Commerce recognizes several of these individuals for their efforts.
David Hitt was the recipient of the R.A. Fulenwider Meritorious Community Service Award, an honor voted on by past recipients of the award.
Hitt was recognized in July with the Southeast Missourian Spirit of America Award. In addition to being a Purple Heart recipient, he has served his community as a city alderman, a board of director for the Cape Girardeau Area Magnet and in several other organizations.
Other chamber award winners are:
* Industry of the Year: Signature Packaging and Paper, owned by Dennis Vinson.
* Business of the Year: HealthPoint Fitness and Rehab, operated by SoutheastHEALTH.
* Small Business of the Year: Realty Executives of Cape County, owned by Bill and Susan Cole.
* Chamber Ambassador of the Year: Jodi Brunke, account executive at IESI.
* Community Service Award: Jackson School District.
Congratulations to this year's award winners and the many others who are also leaders in Jackson and the surrounding areas. Your community service and business leadership help make Jackson a great place to live, work and raise a family.