- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
BENTON, Mo. -- Hattie Elizabeth Slinkard, 89, of Benton died Monday, Jan. 16, 2012, at the Lutheran Home in Cape Girardeau.
She was born May 5, 1922, in Beckley, W.Va., to Frank Elmer and Mary Fountain Cochran Cook. She married Herman Russell "Shorty" Slinkard on Oct. 21, 1939, at Oran, Mo. He preceded her in death June 11, 1995.
She and her husband were self-employed blacksmiths. Hattie was a member of Unity Baptist Church in Benton.
Hattie is survived by two sons, Frank Slinkard of Glen Carbon, Ill., Louis Slinkard of High Ridge, Mo.; a brother, E.J. Cook of Cape Girardeau; a sister, Delcia Strange of O'Fallon, Mo.; five grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by three brothers and four sisters.
Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. today at Amick-Burnett Funeral Chapel in Benton, and from 10 a.m. until service time Thursday at Unity Baptist Church.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at the church, with the Rev. Dennis Lowe officiating. Burial will be in Unity Baptist Cemetery.
Memorials may be sent to Unity Baptist Church, 4846 State Hwy 77, Benton, MO 63736.