- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- PBS crew filming in Cape; Glenn House to be featured (8/17/17)
- Scott City Council reinstates police chief (8/16/17)1
- Near miss: Woman 'lucky' following train incident (8/16/17)
Student Council ceremony
Student Council and Student Senate refer to the same group at Cape Girardeau Central High School. In 1925, Central students and the administration pondered the idea of a student council. In 1926 the first president was elected and the group began to "discuss the problems of school activities and control all problems of the student body."
Student Senate was originally designed to fix problems within our school but expanded to helping the community. We have sponsored all kinds of events ranging from Red Cross blood drives to Safe House for Women fundraisers to toy collections for financially struggling families. We will continue this tradition of community service with a canned food drive today.
On behalf of the 2011-2012 Student Senate, I would like to invite all former members and sponsors of the Student Senate to come home to Central for Tuesday's varsity boys basketball game. The Tigers will host the Saxony Lutheran Crusaders at the Tiger Field House. As part of Central's centennial celebration, past Student Senate members will be recognized during halftime.
In addition, we have organized a canned food drive to coincide with the home basketball game. Free admission to the game will be granted for each adult who donates three canned food items and two items for admission of students/kids. All donated items will be given to the Southeast Missouri Food Bank to benefit its BackPacks for Friday campaign.
ELLIOTT BERRY, vice president, Student Council, Central High School Class of 2012, Cape Girardeau