- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
- Kelso resident brings home $60K in lottery winnings (12/14/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Wind brings down Wendy's sign in Cape Girardeau (12/11/17)2
- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
Student Council ceremony
Student Council and Student Senate refer to the same group at Cape Girardeau Central High School. In 1925, Central students and the administration pondered the idea of a student council. In 1926 the first president was elected and the group began to "discuss the problems of school activities and control all problems of the student body."
Student Senate was originally designed to fix problems within our school but expanded to helping the community. We have sponsored all kinds of events ranging from Red Cross blood drives to Safe House for Women fundraisers to toy collections for financially struggling families. We will continue this tradition of community service with a canned food drive today.
On behalf of the 2011-2012 Student Senate, I would like to invite all former members and sponsors of the Student Senate to come home to Central for Tuesday's varsity boys basketball game. The Tigers will host the Saxony Lutheran Crusaders at the Tiger Field House. As part of Central's centennial celebration, past Student Senate members will be recognized during halftime.
In addition, we have organized a canned food drive to coincide with the home basketball game. Free admission to the game will be granted for each adult who donates three canned food items and two items for admission of students/kids. All donated items will be given to the Southeast Missouri Food Bank to benefit its BackPacks for Friday campaign.
ELLIOTT BERRY, vice president, Student Council, Central High School Class of 2012, Cape Girardeau