- 3 charged with burglarizing Scott City bar (10/14/16)4
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Cape Girardeau County: A great place to grab a bite (10/14/16)2
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
- Three weeks and then what? (10/18/16)2
- Suspected attacker of Southeast student apprehended (10/19/16)5
Purcell votes down budget
Do my eyes deceive me, or did I just fantasize this again? Did I not see in the print media where Commissioner Jay Purcell voted against the majority one more time? You know if it was not for the comic relief, it would almost be pathetic. Here, Auditor Frazier conducts a painstaking and comprehensive audit of each county department, something which has not been done for years, trying to find savings somewhere, and Purcell votes against the budget. He even states he was in approval of most of it. There were just a few things he was not in 100 percent agreement with, so he voted a thumbs down.
Like Mick Jagger once said, "You can't always get what you want." You may grandstand and you may want to be different, but in the end you may not get your way. Commissioner Koeper even went as far as to praise Frazier for his efforts, but Purcell chooses to shoot him down. Thank God we have two commissioners with a rational thought process.
JAMES C. ROCHE, Jackson