- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Committee to start planning process for indoor aquatic center in Cape (6/20/18)1
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)1
- Southeast to spend $150,000 to refresh brand with Ohio firm (6/19/18)6
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
- Jackson natives compete in 260-mile canoe race (6/16/18)1
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- Mother, child reportedly hit by car in Cape Girardeau (6/18/18)
Purcell votes down budget
Do my eyes deceive me, or did I just fantasize this again? Did I not see in the print media where Commissioner Jay Purcell voted against the majority one more time? You know if it was not for the comic relief, it would almost be pathetic. Here, Auditor Frazier conducts a painstaking and comprehensive audit of each county department, something which has not been done for years, trying to find savings somewhere, and Purcell votes against the budget. He even states he was in approval of most of it. There were just a few things he was not in 100 percent agreement with, so he voted a thumbs down.
Like Mick Jagger once said, "You can't always get what you want." You may grandstand and you may want to be different, but in the end you may not get your way. Commissioner Koeper even went as far as to praise Frazier for his efforts, but Purcell chooses to shoot him down. Thank God we have two commissioners with a rational thought process.
JAMES C. ROCHE, Jackson