- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Former alt-rock frontwoman tells how she found Christianity (8/29/16)2
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Newsmakers 2016: Liz Glastetter (8/15/16)
- Court ruling, state suggest businesses may apply use, sales tax to deliveries (8/24/16)2
- Scott City School District introduces new preschool program (8/26/16)1
Purcell votes down budget
Do my eyes deceive me, or did I just fantasize this again? Did I not see in the print media where Commissioner Jay Purcell voted against the majority one more time? You know if it was not for the comic relief, it would almost be pathetic. Here, Auditor Frazier conducts a painstaking and comprehensive audit of each county department, something which has not been done for years, trying to find savings somewhere, and Purcell votes against the budget. He even states he was in approval of most of it. There were just a few things he was not in 100 percent agreement with, so he voted a thumbs down.
Like Mick Jagger once said, "You can't always get what you want." You may grandstand and you may want to be different, but in the end you may not get your way. Commissioner Koeper even went as far as to praise Frazier for his efforts, but Purcell chooses to shoot him down. Thank God we have two commissioners with a rational thought process.
JAMES C. ROCHE, Jackson