- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/01/16)
Purcell votes down budget
Do my eyes deceive me, or did I just fantasize this again? Did I not see in the print media where Commissioner Jay Purcell voted against the majority one more time? You know if it was not for the comic relief, it would almost be pathetic. Here, Auditor Frazier conducts a painstaking and comprehensive audit of each county department, something which has not been done for years, trying to find savings somewhere, and Purcell votes against the budget. He even states he was in approval of most of it. There were just a few things he was not in 100 percent agreement with, so he voted a thumbs down.
Like Mick Jagger once said, "You can't always get what you want." You may grandstand and you may want to be different, but in the end you may not get your way. Commissioner Koeper even went as far as to praise Frazier for his efforts, but Purcell chooses to shoot him down. Thank God we have two commissioners with a rational thought process.
JAMES C. ROCHE, Jackson