- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Martha LaVerne Gross, 81, of Jackson died Sunday, Jan. 1, 2012, at Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.
She was born March 30, 1930, in Cape Girardeau County, to Chester and Martha Ahrens Matthews. She and Robert W. Gross were married July 28, 1950, at Gordonville. He preceded her in death March 25, 2002.
LaVerne grew up in Gordonville, worked at Jackson Hosiery Mill, and was a cook at West Lane Elementary School. She was a volunteer at Saint Francis, Jackson Senior Center and Teen Challenge. She was a member of Christ Lutheran Church at Gordonville.
Survivors include a son, Kevin Gross (Donna) of Jackson; two daughters, Pat Palisch (John) and Robin Thompson (Billy Joe) of Jackson; three grandchildren, Matthew and Christopher Palisch, and B.J. Thompson, all of Jackson.
She was preceded in death by her parents.
Friends may call from 11 a.m. to service time Friday at Christ Lutheran Church.
The funeral will be at 1:30 p.m. Friday at the church, with the Rev. Gary Hoffstetter officiating. Burial will be in Christ Lutheran Church Cemetery.
Ford and Sons Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Memorial contributions may be given to Jackson Senior Center or Christ Lutheran Church Cemetery Fund, 248 Albert Street, Gordonville, MO 63752.
Online condolences may be made at www.fordandsonsfuneralhome.com.