- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
For many parents, one of the joys of Christmas morning is watching their children -- with eyes full of wonder -- open presents. As they tear through the wrapping paper, a sense of joy is sure to be felt by the child and parents alike. But for some parents, the stress of putting food on the table is challenging enough, let alone finding the money to buy gifts.
Thanks to Toybox, which is co-sponsored by the Jaycee's and Southeast Missourian, about 1,300 children in need received Christmas presents this year. Last Tuesday more than 100 Toybox volunteers, 23 of them dressed as Santa, delivered presents to 418 households in Cape Girardeau.
Christmas for the Elderly is another program sponsored by the Jaycee's and Southeast Missourian. This year 36 senior citizens were helped with groceries, pharmaceutical items and other supplies.
Thanks to the generosity of this community in time, donated items and money, many children -- who would have otherwise received nothing for Christmas -- received gifts this year, and a number of senior citizens in need were given a helping hand.
To all those who helped make Toybox and Christmas for the Elderly possible, thank you. Your efforts showed love and compassion in a tangible way to many this Christmas season.