- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
For many parents, one of the joys of Christmas morning is watching their children -- with eyes full of wonder -- open presents. As they tear through the wrapping paper, a sense of joy is sure to be felt by the child and parents alike. But for some parents, the stress of putting food on the table is challenging enough, let alone finding the money to buy gifts.
Thanks to Toybox, which is co-sponsored by the Jaycee's and Southeast Missourian, about 1,300 children in need received Christmas presents this year. Last Tuesday more than 100 Toybox volunteers, 23 of them dressed as Santa, delivered presents to 418 households in Cape Girardeau.
Christmas for the Elderly is another program sponsored by the Jaycee's and Southeast Missourian. This year 36 senior citizens were helped with groceries, pharmaceutical items and other supplies.
Thanks to the generosity of this community in time, donated items and money, many children -- who would have otherwise received nothing for Christmas -- received gifts this year, and a number of senior citizens in need were given a helping hand.
To all those who helped make Toybox and Christmas for the Elderly possible, thank you. Your efforts showed love and compassion in a tangible way to many this Christmas season.