- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
TAMMS, Ill. -- Martha Marie DeJarnett Mize Bufford, 79, of Tamms left this earthly world for her home in heaven Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2011, at Heartland Medical Center in Marion, Ill., in the presence of her family.
She was born Aug. 1, 1932, in Clinton, Ky., to Claude "Sam" and Sallie Cagle DeJarnett.
Being a devoted Christian, she served several churches in her lifetime. First Baptist Church of Tamms received more than 40 years of faithful service where she served in various positions: youth leader, Sunday school teacher, choir member, song leader, WMU secretary/treasurer, and she lead the monthly birthday celebrations at Tamms Shelter Care.
She also took an active part in the lives of her children, serving on committees, PTA, fundraising for Little League and as a Den mother. After raising her own children, the need to influence young lives continued as she drove a school bus for more than 30 years for the Egyptian School District. She lived a full and wonderful life filled with service to others. She will be greatly missed.
Survivors include her children, Vicki Koehler of Benton, Ky., Arthur Mize Jr. of Carterville, Ill., Christopher Mize of Tamms and Cynthia Knowles of Tamms; a sister, Betty Timm of Bradley, Ill.; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her husbands, Arthur Mize Sr. and Harold Bufford; her parents; a brother, Ezra "Shorty" DeJarnett; four sisters, Willie Jonakin, Lillie Flannery, Catherine Dillworth and Louise McDaniel.
Friends may call from 5 to 8 p.m. today at Jones Funeral Home in Tamms.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Friday at the funeral home, with Bob Kirby officiating. Interment will be in Spencer Heights Cemetery in Mounds, Ill.
Expressions of sympathy may be made to First Baptist Church, Tamms, IL 62988, in memory of Martha Bufford.