- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)32
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)8
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
Thanks for community support
The recent fire at Blanchard Elementary caused considerable damage and disruption. I would like to thank everyone for their help. The list is quite long, and I apologize if I leave someone out.
I would like to recognize the Cape Girardeau Fire Department and the firefighters for their quick response. The damage would have been much worse had they not responded so professionally.
Thanks also to Lynwood Baptist Church members for their hospitality in allowing us to use their facility to hold classes. They have been very accommodating to our students, staff and parents.
Thanks to Blanchard principal Dr. Kohlfeld and her staff. They have displayed a great attitude and have worked extremely hard to minimize the disruption to classes.
Thanks to the student athletes and coaches from Southeast Missouri State University and their mascot Rowdy for greeting the students on the first day at Lynwood. The fire department, police department, Tracker from the Southeast Missourian and numerous volunteers were also on hand to greet students.
Thanks also to the volunteers, along with the Cape Girardeau School District's maintenance, nutrition services and technology departments who assisted with the transition to Lynwood.
It was great to see so many groups and individuals from the community work together for the benefit of our students.
JIM WELKER, superintendent, Cape Girardeau School District, Cape Girardeau