- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)18
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Man accused in fatal Cape stabbing out on bond
The Jackson man charged with killing a father of three outside a downtown Cape Girardeau bar last week bonded out of jail Tuesday.
Ryan Harkey, 23, has been in custody since Dec. 9 when he was arrested for allegedly stabbing Jerry Conrad to death outside Rumors, 36 N. Spanish St., the same day. On Tuesday, Dwight Gates, a bondsman for Philip Wayne Childress Bail Bonds, posted Harkey's $250,000 surety bond, according to Missouri Case.Net.
The conditions of Harkey's release stipulate that he cannot leave his home and must wear a house arrest device at all times.
Officers with the Cape Girardeau Police Department responded to an assault call shortly before 1 a.m. at Independence and Lorimier streets, according to the probable-cause statement. Police said it was Harkey who first called 911, saying he had just been in a fight and that he "may have possibly stabbed someone."
An officer went to look for Harkey in that area. About the same time, the statement says, other officers were near North Spanish Street and Broadway, where they were flagged down by several people just west of Rumors Bar and Lounge.
Police found Conrad in the southeast corner of the Common Pleas Courthouse lawn. Conrad had been stabbed three times in the upper chest, the statement says.
Police found no pulse and administered CPR until an ambulance arrived. Conrad was pronounced dead at 1:23 a.m. at Saint Francis Medical Center.
Harkey is charged with second-degree murder and armed criminal action and will be arraigned Dec. 27.
36 S. Spanish St., Cape Girardeau, MO