- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Man accused in fatal Cape stabbing out on bond
The Jackson man charged with killing a father of three outside a downtown Cape Girardeau bar last week bonded out of jail Tuesday.
Ryan Harkey, 23, has been in custody since Dec. 9 when he was arrested for allegedly stabbing Jerry Conrad to death outside Rumors, 36 N. Spanish St., the same day. On Tuesday, Dwight Gates, a bondsman for Philip Wayne Childress Bail Bonds, posted Harkey's $250,000 surety bond, according to Missouri Case.Net.
The conditions of Harkey's release stipulate that he cannot leave his home and must wear a house arrest device at all times.
Officers with the Cape Girardeau Police Department responded to an assault call shortly before 1 a.m. at Independence and Lorimier streets, according to the probable-cause statement. Police said it was Harkey who first called 911, saying he had just been in a fight and that he "may have possibly stabbed someone."
An officer went to look for Harkey in that area. About the same time, the statement says, other officers were near North Spanish Street and Broadway, where they were flagged down by several people just west of Rumors Bar and Lounge.
Police found Conrad in the southeast corner of the Common Pleas Courthouse lawn. Conrad had been stabbed three times in the upper chest, the statement says.
Police found no pulse and administered CPR until an ambulance arrived. Conrad was pronounced dead at 1:23 a.m. at Saint Francis Medical Center.
Harkey is charged with second-degree murder and armed criminal action and will be arraigned Dec. 27.
36 S. Spanish St., Cape Girardeau, MO