- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Cardinals lock up Schumaker
ST. LOUIS -- Second baseman Skip Schumaker has agreed to a $3 million, two-year deal with the St. Louis Cardinals, who did not tender a contract offer to infielder Ryan Theriot before Monday night's deadline.
The 31-year-old Schumaker batted .283 in 117 games for the Cardinals this year and then .381 in the postseason with the lone RBI in a 1-0 victory over Philadelphia in Game 5 of the NL division series. He made 89 starts at second base and five in the outfield.
He gets $1.5 million in both of the next two seasons and can make $200,000 more annually in performance bonuses. He made $2.75 million last season, completing a $4.8 million, two-year deal.
Theriot hit .271 with one homer and 47 RBIs. He was the starting shortstop until St. Louis acquired Rafael Furcal at the trade deadline. Furcal and the Cardinals have agreed to a $14 million, two-year contract.
Theriot now becomes a free agent.