- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
ADVANCE, Mo. -- Ruby Willene Howard Smith, 84, of Advance passed away Thursday, Dec. 8, 2011, at Advance Nursing Center.
She was born June 30, 1927, at Bernie, Mo., daughter of David Oakle and Lila Pritchett Swift.
Ruby worked at Inland Shoe Factory 15 years. She then owned and operated Ruby Howard's Grocery Store almost 30 years.
She and Millard Howard were married April 1, 1944. He preceded her in death Oct. 2, 1983. She later married Herschel E. Smith on Nov. 27, 1997. He preceded her in death in 2005.
Survivors include four daughters, Phyllis Robinett of Advance, Lecie Winberry of St. Louis, Shelia Owens of Jackson, Regina Householder of Cruger, Miss.; nine grandchildren; 24 great-grandchildren; 10 great-great-grandchildren; and six half sisters.
She was preceded in death by her parents, husbands and a sister.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. today at Morgan Funeral Chapel.
The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at the chapel, with the Rev. Ray Placher officiating, and the Rev. Dan Sitze assisting. Burial will be in Bernie Cemetery at Bernie.