- Former Cape cop faces stealing-by-deceit charge (6/18/17)3
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Jackson woman accused of trying to hit another with her truck (6/15/17)
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)2
- Police search for two suspects in abduction, robbery case; victim found unharmed in Scott County field (6/16/17)1
- Cape man faces charges of victim tampering (6/18/17)
- Racial disparity of traffic stops inches upward in Cape (6/15/17)6
- Police: Cape abduction may have ties to Georgia homicide (6/18/17)5
- 3 drown in Southeast Missouri in three days (6/16/17)
- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
Celebrating Central FCA
Cape Girardeau Central High School has much to celebrate during its centennial year. These festivities include recognizing past members of various extracurricular clubs, including the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.
FCA's roots date back to 1923 with the founding of the Hi-Y Club. The Hi-Y Club's goals were to create, maintain and extend throughout the school and community high standards of Christian character. Today, under the sponsorship of Mr. Scott Sanders and Mr. Bryan Kelpe, FCA's goals remain the same. Although waking up early is tough, we meet every Wednesday morning before school. We study various scriptures, how to fit religion into our busy high school lives, and how every situation relates to our faith, especially in sports. Also, we participate in service projects to benefit the school and community as a whole. Recently, our club took a trip to Joplin, Mo., as part of the tornado relief effort. I have been involved in FCA for four years, and something just feels "right."
As a current leader of the club, I would like to invite all current and former members and sponsors of FCA to join fans at a Central wrestling match Dec. 7. The Tigers will take on Carbondale and Sikeston starting at 5 p.m. Former members will be recognized between matches at approximately 6 p.m. I am excited to welcome former members and sponsors as they come home to Central. I look forward to seeing you there.
KRISTYN SANDERS, Class of 2012, Cape Girardeau