- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Politics to profits: Brothers launch new investing concept on Wall Street (10/19/17)1
- Load shift kills Jackson trucker (10/17/17)
- The last person to be laid to rest at Old Lorimier Cemetery: Mary Russell Fox (10/17/17)2
- Cape Christian School burglarized (10/18/17)
- Food Giant in Chaffee is robbed (10/17/17)
- Owner of dinosaur relics demands new board of directors, business plan at Bollinger County Museum (10/17/17)
Celebrating Central FCA
Cape Girardeau Central High School has much to celebrate during its centennial year. These festivities include recognizing past members of various extracurricular clubs, including the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.
FCA's roots date back to 1923 with the founding of the Hi-Y Club. The Hi-Y Club's goals were to create, maintain and extend throughout the school and community high standards of Christian character. Today, under the sponsorship of Mr. Scott Sanders and Mr. Bryan Kelpe, FCA's goals remain the same. Although waking up early is tough, we meet every Wednesday morning before school. We study various scriptures, how to fit religion into our busy high school lives, and how every situation relates to our faith, especially in sports. Also, we participate in service projects to benefit the school and community as a whole. Recently, our club took a trip to Joplin, Mo., as part of the tornado relief effort. I have been involved in FCA for four years, and something just feels "right."
As a current leader of the club, I would like to invite all current and former members and sponsors of FCA to join fans at a Central wrestling match Dec. 7. The Tigers will take on Carbondale and Sikeston starting at 5 p.m. Former members will be recognized between matches at approximately 6 p.m. I am excited to welcome former members and sponsors as they come home to Central. I look forward to seeing you there.
KRISTYN SANDERS, Class of 2012, Cape Girardeau