- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Business Notebook: Yule Log Cabin gets home feel honestly (12/4/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Rep. Lichtenegger proposes change to term limits (12/4/17)7
- Fire displaces family of seven (12/5/17)1
- Buffalo Wild Wings moving to new location in March (12/2/17)2
- Fruitland Army veteran spends weeks helping in ravaged Puerto Rico (12/5/17)2
Celebrating Central FCA
Cape Girardeau Central High School has much to celebrate during its centennial year. These festivities include recognizing past members of various extracurricular clubs, including the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.
FCA's roots date back to 1923 with the founding of the Hi-Y Club. The Hi-Y Club's goals were to create, maintain and extend throughout the school and community high standards of Christian character. Today, under the sponsorship of Mr. Scott Sanders and Mr. Bryan Kelpe, FCA's goals remain the same. Although waking up early is tough, we meet every Wednesday morning before school. We study various scriptures, how to fit religion into our busy high school lives, and how every situation relates to our faith, especially in sports. Also, we participate in service projects to benefit the school and community as a whole. Recently, our club took a trip to Joplin, Mo., as part of the tornado relief effort. I have been involved in FCA for four years, and something just feels "right."
As a current leader of the club, I would like to invite all current and former members and sponsors of FCA to join fans at a Central wrestling match Dec. 7. The Tigers will take on Carbondale and Sikeston starting at 5 p.m. Former members will be recognized between matches at approximately 6 p.m. I am excited to welcome former members and sponsors as they come home to Central. I look forward to seeing you there.
KRISTYN SANDERS, Class of 2012, Cape Girardeau