- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)24
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
Celebrating Central FCA
Cape Girardeau Central High School has much to celebrate during its centennial year. These festivities include recognizing past members of various extracurricular clubs, including the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.
FCA's roots date back to 1923 with the founding of the Hi-Y Club. The Hi-Y Club's goals were to create, maintain and extend throughout the school and community high standards of Christian character. Today, under the sponsorship of Mr. Scott Sanders and Mr. Bryan Kelpe, FCA's goals remain the same. Although waking up early is tough, we meet every Wednesday morning before school. We study various scriptures, how to fit religion into our busy high school lives, and how every situation relates to our faith, especially in sports. Also, we participate in service projects to benefit the school and community as a whole. Recently, our club took a trip to Joplin, Mo., as part of the tornado relief effort. I have been involved in FCA for four years, and something just feels "right."
As a current leader of the club, I would like to invite all current and former members and sponsors of FCA to join fans at a Central wrestling match Dec. 7. The Tigers will take on Carbondale and Sikeston starting at 5 p.m. Former members will be recognized between matches at approximately 6 p.m. I am excited to welcome former members and sponsors as they come home to Central. I look forward to seeing you there.
KRISTYN SANDERS, Class of 2012, Cape Girardeau