- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)36
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Cape Girardeau Public Library taking food instead of fines
In December, the Cape Girardeau Public Library will collect food in lieu of fines. Nonperishable food items will be accepted for overdue fines. The food value will be 50 cents per item. All food will be donated to FISH, which will distribute it to the many local families the organization helps. Food may not be used to pay for replacement of lost items or any other library fees. Patrons who don't owe fines are also welcome to contribute.
Big River holding eighth annual turkey drive
Big River Telephone is hosting its eighth annual Holiday Turkey Drive in two locations, Cape Girardeau and Farmington, Mo., from Nov. 1 to Dec. 21, with help from the Salvation Army, Schnucks (Cape Girardeau), Country Mart (Farmington), Withers Broadcasting and J98 "The Boot." Donation vouchers may be picked up in either city: Country Mart and J98 "The Boot" in Farmington or Schnucks and the Big River Telephone office in Cape Girardeau. The voucher, along with a $10 donation, can then be used at Country Mart or Schnucks to help feed others in the community. All donations will be used by the Salvation Army to provide meals for needy families during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. To find the dates for these live events and details on how to donate, visit the Big River website, bigrivertelephone.com/help.
Postal Planet's 'Adopt a Hero' donations are being accepted
Postal Planet in Jackson is continuing its "Adopt a Hero" program for Christmas and beyond. The business gathers names of soldiers overseas and ask for items they want/need in order to make their lives a bit more comfortable. The business then asks the community for donations of the items and ships the items to them at Postal Planet expense. Items can be dropped off at the store at 1166 Greenway Drive in Jackson. For more information and to get a list of the items needed, call 204-8222.