There is no shortage of special events this time of year. Here's a quick look at a few -- many Christmas-themed -- taking place in the coming days:n Tonight is the First Friday Art Walk in downtown Cape Girardeau. The galleries will be open from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
* Two events will take place at the River Campus this weekend. The fifth annual Class Voice Recital -- a free event -- will start at 7 p.m. Sunday in Shuck Recital Hall. The university's Department of Theatre and Dance is also in the midst of its "Fall for Dance" production. Tonight's performance is at 7:30 p.m., and Saturday two performances will be given starting 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., all in the Bedell Performance Hall. Tickets are $16 each.
* Saturday the Jackson Jaycee Foundation Christmas parade starts at 2 p.m. The parade route will begin near the high school and proceed to Main Street and Farmington Road. About 100 entries are expected. Before the parade, a ceremony honoring soldiers of Pearl Harbor and World War II will be held at 1:45 p.m.
* The 16th annual Sounds of the Season benefit concert will take place at 2 p.m. Sunday at Cape Bible Chapel. The concert benefits cancer patients of Southeast Cancer Center and the We Can Weekend retreat for cancer patients and their families. Tickets are available for a suggested $5 donation.
* The Christmas Community Praise Sing at First Baptist Church in Cape Girardeau starts at 4 p.m. Sunday. This free event will feature choirs and music groups from First Baptist, Abbey Road Christian Church, Maple United Methodist Church and Westminster Presbyterian Church.
* The Southeast Missouri Symphony Orchestra will join the Southeast University Choir and Choral Union to perform "Gloria" by Baroque composer Antonio Vivald on Tuesday in Bedell Performance Hall at the River Campus. Tickets are on sale now through the River Campus box office.
It's a busy time of year, and these are just a few upcoming events. Details on other community and Christmas-themed festivities can be found at semoevents.com.