- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)31
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
PULASKI, Ill. -- Muriel Janet "Mermie" Palmer Reeves, 92, of Pulaski passed away Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2011, at Daystar Care Center in Cairo, Ill.
She was born June 28, 1919, in Mounds, Ill., daughter of Roy and Ethel Helman Palmer.
Mermie was a member of Pulaski Christian Church where she had served as a deaconess, member of Ladies Aid, member of Friendly Bible Sunday school class, member of Ladies Auxiliary of Cairo VFW Post 2649, a former member of Pulaski Homemakers Extension, and attended Senior Citizens Smiles I Center in Mounds for many years.
She was a former employee at St. Mary's Hospital in Cairo, where she worked in the kitchen. She later attended Shawnee Community College where she earned an LPN degree. She worked at St. Mary's Hospital in Cairo and later transferred to Meridian Manor Nursing Home in Mounds, where she retired after several years of service. She later was a caregiver several years to several of her friends.
On Sept. 28, 1935, in Anna, Ill., she married Carl F. Reeves, who preceded her in death May 4, 1988. She was also preceded in death by her parents; a daughter, Carolyn S. Jones; a son, Larry Leon Reeves; two brothers, Clifton R. Palmer and Gerald Palmer; and three sisters, Daisy Calhoun, Leila Ruth Palmer and Margie Rives.
Survivors include a son, David K. Reeves of St. Louis; nine grandchildren, Bobby and Ricky Jones of Pulaski, Randy P. Jones of Villa Ridge, Ill., Keith, Ezra, Heather, Luke, Bill and Blaine Reeves; great-grandchildren, Kelly (Jeff) Stoner, Brian Jones, Ryan Paul Jones and Briana Jones; seven great-great-grandchildren, Emily and Allie Stoner, Addison, Mariah, Shannon and Isaiah Reeves, and JaQuan Jones; a brother, Jim and wife Mary Palmer and family of Charleston, Ill.; a sister, Eva Tuffley and family of Sand Marcos, Calif.; a former son-in-law, Charles L. and wife Jeanette Jones of Pulaski; nieces and nephews; extended church family; and the residents, staff and administration at Daystar Care Center where she resided the past eight years.
Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Jones Funeral Home in Villa Ridge. A service will be held at 6 p.m. by Cairo VFW Ladies Auxiliary.
The funeral will be at 10:30 a.m. Friday at the funeral Home, with Rob Arbeiter and the Rev. Buddy Walls officiating. Interment will be in Rose Hill Cemetery in Pulaski.
Expressions of sympathy may take the form of memorials to Pulaski Christian Church Multi-purpose Building Fund, P.O. Box 244, Pulaski, IL 62976, or to Rose Hill Cemetery Association, P.O. Box 147, Villa Ridge, IL 62996, or to donor's choice in memory of Mermie Reeves.