- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)32
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Illinois pastor's molestation trial delayed
JONESBORO, ILL. -- A Southern Illinois judge has delayed the molestation trial of a former pastor who once guided fundraising efforts to restore the Bald Knob Cross of Peace in Alto Pass, Ill.
The Rev. Bill Vandergraph, 73, is accused of sexually assaulting a child younger than 13. He was arrested in June 2010 on suspicion of sexual misconduct with a 4-year-old between January and April of last year.
His trial was originally scheduled for Dec. 12, but has been pushed to Jan. 9 in Union County Circuit Court in Jonesboro, according to court documents.
Vandergraph faces charges of predatory criminal sexual assault -- a felony carrying a potential sentence of six to 60 years in prison -- and two counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse, each carrying potential sentences of 14 years.
Vandergraph had been the president of Friends of the Cross, an organization that has raised more than $500,000 to restore the cross, but resigned when he was arrested. The cross was five months away from completing its physical restoration when Vandergraph was arrested. The last panel was put on the cross in November 2010.
Vandergraph's arrest has not hurt fundraising efforts, Bald Knob Cross of Peace officials said in September.
Vandergraph is free on bond.
3630 Bald Knob Road, Alto Pass, IL