- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)7
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Pincksten's newest renovation project: 328 S. Spanish St. (7/17/16)6
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Trooper-involved homicide case rests in prosecutor's hands (7/17/16)15
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)1
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)4
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Jackson roundabout on schedule, on budget (7/19/16)7
Many are preparing for the Thanksgiving weekend. In addition to being thankful for the blessings in our lives, some will also start their Christmas shopping.
The Christmas season is an important time of year for retailers. The Cape Girardeau and surrounding areas are fortunate to have stores of almost every variety. Whether you're in the market for electronics, clothing, toys or any number of other items, consider shopping locally this year and supporting our area businesses.
Local businesses are part of the fabric that make our community the vibrant area it is. From creating jobs to increasing the local tax base to other expenditures, local businesses spur economic activity that affects all of our lives.
Thursday there will be a number of retailers with special inserts in the Southeast Missourian, and others have inserts and special deals in today's and Friday's papers. There are deals to be had and by keeping more dollars closer to home, your Christmas shopping helps make the season a little merrier for others.
While you are out shopping with family and friends, take in the sights, sounds and smells of the season. Many of us will decorate our homes this weekend, and businesses are also looking quite festive; carolers and local bands will be singing and playing Christmas favorites around town in the coming weeks; and local eateries are sure to have some special holiday treats.
Happy Thanksgiving, and may we be one of the firsts to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.