- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)22
- New CEO named at Wood & Huston Bank (8/21/16)
Many are preparing for the Thanksgiving weekend. In addition to being thankful for the blessings in our lives, some will also start their Christmas shopping.
The Christmas season is an important time of year for retailers. The Cape Girardeau and surrounding areas are fortunate to have stores of almost every variety. Whether you're in the market for electronics, clothing, toys or any number of other items, consider shopping locally this year and supporting our area businesses.
Local businesses are part of the fabric that make our community the vibrant area it is. From creating jobs to increasing the local tax base to other expenditures, local businesses spur economic activity that affects all of our lives.
Thursday there will be a number of retailers with special inserts in the Southeast Missourian, and others have inserts and special deals in today's and Friday's papers. There are deals to be had and by keeping more dollars closer to home, your Christmas shopping helps make the season a little merrier for others.
While you are out shopping with family and friends, take in the sights, sounds and smells of the season. Many of us will decorate our homes this weekend, and businesses are also looking quite festive; carolers and local bands will be singing and playing Christmas favorites around town in the coming weeks; and local eateries are sure to have some special holiday treats.
Happy Thanksgiving, and may we be one of the firsts to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.