- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Kentucky man killed in I-55 wreck near Fruitland
A Friday morning crash involving two tractor-trailers on Interstate 55 near Fruitland led to the death of a Kentucky man.
Randy E. Stewart, 55, of Barlow, Ky., died of blunt force trauma at the scene, Cape Girardeau County Coroner John Clifton said.
The crash happened when Stewart's tractor-trailer rear-ended another in the southbound lanes near the Fruitland exit. The driver of the other tractor-trailer was unharmed.
Stewart's tractor-trailer was lying on its side and debris was scattered around the area. Some of the debris was coating for fried chicken, according to emergency responders at the scene.
The crash closed partially closed I-55 near the Fruitland exit, for several hours. The accident happened a short distance north of an area where investigators are searching along the highway looking for clues in the disappearance of Jacque Waller, who was last seen June 1 in Jackson.
The Jackson Police Department investigated the crash. Police spokesman Lt. Rodney Barnes didn't return calls seeking more information on the crash.