- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)9
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
Don't forget Thanksgiving
Dear Mr. & Mrs. Merchant,
I spent more time watching TV today than usual due to a pain increase in my legs. It is Halloween, although I couldn't tell it by all the "holidays" commercials.
I saw a national chain advertising a "holiday scents candle"; another one promising me decorating secrets for "the holidays"; another one wanted to sell me special gifts "for the holidays"; a company encouraging me to get that special cereal for a snack mix "for the holidays"; and even a company who wants me to buy some strips to make my teeth look pretty and white "for the holidays." I saw snow, "holiday lights", "holiday trees"; you had it all.
I see several stores are going to open at midnight on Black Friday. Don't get me wrong, I love to celebrate the birth of our Lord; nothing is prettier than singing "Silent Night" in a place of worship with friends and family.
Here is my plan. I'm celebrating my holiday, Thanksgiving. I'll be thanking the Lord for all my blessings of the past year, sharing a wonderful meal with family, playing games, taking a nap and praying for those who have had a hard year. So, try to ram "the holidays" down my throat; try and make me forget Thanksgiving; it's not going to happen.
By the way, I'll be supporting my local merchants this year and giving more to local charities. So you may want to rethink that whole advertising thing. Happy Thanksgiving.
GENA BISHER, Cape Girardeau