- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Neighbors mystified over why man was killed by state trooper (05/03/16)22
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- 'American Pickers' visits Poplar Bluff (04/29/16)
Rev. F.M. Speakman
MOUNDS, Ill. -- The Rev. F.M. Speakman, 88, of Mounds died Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2011, in Lawrenceburg, Tenn.
He was born May 29, 1923, in Leoma, Tenn., son of Francis Marion and Emily Cordelia King Speakman. He married Bess Crane on Aug. 21, 1949.
Speakman served his country honorably in the U.S. Army during World War II.
He earned a master's degree from Mid Continent Baptist College and a bachelor's degree from Middle Tennessee University. He was a teacher three years in Tennessee and three years in Montana.
Speakman has been a Southern Baptist Minister since 1947. He filled the pulpit in Mounds, McClure and Ullin Baptist churches. He was also the chaplain of the 11th Engineers Reunion Group, U.S. Army.
Survivors include his wife, Bess; two daughters, Vanessa Gaye Dassing of Mounds, Frances Marian Spence of Dyersburg, Tenn.; six grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren; nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends.
He was preceded in death by five brothers and five sisters.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. today at First Baptist Church in Ullin.
The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Saturday, with the Rev. Clint Nale and Bill Crain officiating.
Visitation will also be from 6 to 8 p.m. Saturday at Neal Funeral Home in Lawrenceburg.
The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Sunday at Neal Funeral Home, with Carlos Casteel officiating. Interment will be in John Lay Cemetery in Ethridge, Tenn., with full military honors.
Crain Funeral Home of Ullin is handling arrangements in Illinois and Tennessee.
To leave online condolences, visit www.crainsonline.com.