- State declares test results for schools invalid (10/4/17)2
- College algebra to be removed from Southeast required curriculum (10/10/17)1
- Child-custody advocate: State law needs fix to provide parents with more equal custody (10/12/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- Cancer will 'change your life, but it doesn't have to rule it' (10/8/17)
- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Bills addressing equal child custody to be filed, legislators say (10/13/17)
- The last person to be laid to rest at Old Lorimier Cemetery: Mary Russell Fox (10/17/17)2
Liberalism, government control
An American president put it like this: "I want the people of America to be able to work less for the government and more for themselves. I want them to have the rewards of their own industry. This is the chief meaning of freedom. Until we can re-establish a condition under which the earnings of the people can be kept by the people, we are bound to suffer a very severe and distinct curtailment of our liberty."
That captures the full meaning of the opening words of our Declaration of Independence. America was founded upon this central, overarching principle. However, today's crony capitalism is a false front behind which the most dangerous isms known to man hide and eat away at America's foundation.
Self-asserting centralized government authority now restricts and regulates all means of production through a ridiculous anti-American income tax code.
Due to this corrupting tax code, politicians on both sides extort fromAmerican producers campaign donations and hidden favors in exchange for rationed freedom -- special treatment under the income tax code.
America once had a strong economy and a strong moral center when capitalism dominated; before the advent of government control ushered in through liberalism/progressivism."
"How ridiculous," seething liberals will respond. "We're not socialists. We're not communists."
Insisting that liberalism has nothing to do with socialism, and socialism has nothing to do with communism is like saying, "Oh, it's not a baby. I'm just a little bit pregnant."
Liberalism is the fetus. Communism is full development.
JOHN McMILLEN, Sikeston, Mo.