- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- 'Love, not hate': Area residents gather to sing, talk about racial issues after violence in Charlottesville (8/14/17)89
Liberalism, government control
An American president put it like this: "I want the people of America to be able to work less for the government and more for themselves. I want them to have the rewards of their own industry. This is the chief meaning of freedom. Until we can re-establish a condition under which the earnings of the people can be kept by the people, we are bound to suffer a very severe and distinct curtailment of our liberty."
That captures the full meaning of the opening words of our Declaration of Independence. America was founded upon this central, overarching principle. However, today's crony capitalism is a false front behind which the most dangerous isms known to man hide and eat away at America's foundation.
Self-asserting centralized government authority now restricts and regulates all means of production through a ridiculous anti-American income tax code.
Due to this corrupting tax code, politicians on both sides extort fromAmerican producers campaign donations and hidden favors in exchange for rationed freedom -- special treatment under the income tax code.
America once had a strong economy and a strong moral center when capitalism dominated; before the advent of government control ushered in through liberalism/progressivism."
"How ridiculous," seething liberals will respond. "We're not socialists. We're not communists."
Insisting that liberalism has nothing to do with socialism, and socialism has nothing to do with communism is like saying, "Oh, it's not a baby. I'm just a little bit pregnant."
Liberalism is the fetus. Communism is full development.
JOHN McMILLEN, Sikeston, Mo.