- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)24
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
Liberalism, government control
An American president put it like this: "I want the people of America to be able to work less for the government and more for themselves. I want them to have the rewards of their own industry. This is the chief meaning of freedom. Until we can re-establish a condition under which the earnings of the people can be kept by the people, we are bound to suffer a very severe and distinct curtailment of our liberty."
That captures the full meaning of the opening words of our Declaration of Independence. America was founded upon this central, overarching principle. However, today's crony capitalism is a false front behind which the most dangerous isms known to man hide and eat away at America's foundation.
Self-asserting centralized government authority now restricts and regulates all means of production through a ridiculous anti-American income tax code.
Due to this corrupting tax code, politicians on both sides extort fromAmerican producers campaign donations and hidden favors in exchange for rationed freedom -- special treatment under the income tax code.
America once had a strong economy and a strong moral center when capitalism dominated; before the advent of government control ushered in through liberalism/progressivism."
"How ridiculous," seething liberals will respond. "We're not socialists. We're not communists."
Insisting that liberalism has nothing to do with socialism, and socialism has nothing to do with communism is like saying, "Oh, it's not a baby. I'm just a little bit pregnant."
Liberalism is the fetus. Communism is full development.
JOHN McMILLEN, Sikeston, Mo.