- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)3
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)1
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
- Oran town board fired officer before hiring him as police chief; city officials say they can't remember reason for firing (6/25/17)3
- Library provides free lunches this summer (6/19/17)
- Jackson School District giving away bricks from 'Old A' building (6/23/17)2
Liberalism, government control
An American president put it like this: "I want the people of America to be able to work less for the government and more for themselves. I want them to have the rewards of their own industry. This is the chief meaning of freedom. Until we can re-establish a condition under which the earnings of the people can be kept by the people, we are bound to suffer a very severe and distinct curtailment of our liberty."
That captures the full meaning of the opening words of our Declaration of Independence. America was founded upon this central, overarching principle. However, today's crony capitalism is a false front behind which the most dangerous isms known to man hide and eat away at America's foundation.
Self-asserting centralized government authority now restricts and regulates all means of production through a ridiculous anti-American income tax code.
Due to this corrupting tax code, politicians on both sides extort fromAmerican producers campaign donations and hidden favors in exchange for rationed freedom -- special treatment under the income tax code.
America once had a strong economy and a strong moral center when capitalism dominated; before the advent of government control ushered in through liberalism/progressivism."
"How ridiculous," seething liberals will respond. "We're not socialists. We're not communists."
Insisting that liberalism has nothing to do with socialism, and socialism has nothing to do with communism is like saying, "Oh, it's not a baby. I'm just a little bit pregnant."
Liberalism is the fetus. Communism is full development.
JOHN McMILLEN, Sikeston, Mo.