- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)5
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Esther Tant Been, 98, of Webster Groves, Mo., formerly of Jackson, died Saturday, Oct. 15, 2011, at Laclede Groves Lutheran Convalescent Home in Webster Groves.
She was born Jan. 10, 1913, in Fruitland, to Victor Ossian and Amy Caroline Barber Tant. She and Walter P. Been were married May 23, 1940. He died Feb. 2, 2000.
Esther graduated from Fruitland High School and Southeast Missouri State University. She taught school in Puxico, Mo., Esther, Mo., and Festus, Mo., before her marriage, and later held a position with the state Social Security Commission.
She was a member of First Presbyterian Church in Jackson. She served as chairman of Esther Circle many years, and in 1979 was awarded life membership in Presbyterian Women.
Survivors include a son, Rodney K. (Elaine) Been, and a granddaughter, Kathryn Anne, all of St. Louis.
She was preceded in death by her husband and a sister, Mildred Tant McDowell of Charleston, Mo.
Friends may call from 10 a.m. to service time Friday at Cracraft-Miller Funeral Home in Jackson.
The funeral will be at 11:30 a.m. Friday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Jimmie Corbin officiating. Burial will be in Pleasant Hill Cemetery at Fruitland.
Memorials may be made to Pleasant Hill Cemetery Association.