- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Edna E. Schwartz, 94, of Cape Girardeau died Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2011, at the Lutheran Home.
She was born Oct. 2, 1917, in Gordonville, to William and Martha Lange Gerecke. She and Roy F. Schwartz were married Aug. 31, 1940, at Apple Creek, Mo.
Edna was baptized and confirmed in the Lutheran faith at Gordonville. She converted to the Catholic faith in 1953 and became a member of the St. Mary's Cathedral. She was active in St. Paul's Guild, Council of Catholic Women and League of Mary.
Before her marriage she worked at International Shoe Co. on Main Street and the Woolworth Store. After her marriage, she traveled with her husband when he was drafted into the service.
Her favorite pastime was bowling. She belonged to the Women's Bowling Association. She enjoyed watching bowling, Cardinals baseball, golf and tennis on television the last few years. However, she best loved spending time with her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Edna is survived by six children, Lorelei Schwartz Jones of Cape Girardeau, Janet Schwartz of Kansas City, Mo., Diane Schwartz of Fenton, Mo., Keith (Barbara Siebert) Schwartz of High Ridge, Mo., Kirk (Michaela Kearney) Schwartz of Kansas City and Craig Schwartz of Fort Worth, Texas.
Also six grandchildren, Katherine Schwartz of Fenton, Kevin (Brooke Parsons) Schwartz of Eureka, Mo., Kelly Schwartz and Kyle Schwartz of High Ridge, Danielle (Daniel) Motta and Dominic Schwartz of Kansas City; two great-grandchildren, Carter Schwartz of Eureka and Nolan Motta of Kansas City; a sister, Linda Gerecke Lewis of Wichita, Kan.; two brothers, Lorenz (Jane) Gerecke of Escondido, Calif., William (Sue) Gerecke of Cape Girardeau; many nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Roy; parents, William and Martha Gerecke; three sisters, Ella Gerecke Shelton, Anita Gerecke Taylor, Maria Gerecke; three brothers, Martin, Edward, and Walter Gerecke; two half sisters, Frieda Gerecke Quade and Ida Gerecke Quade; three half brothers, Herman, Alvin and Fred Gerecke.
Visitation is from 4 to 8 p.m. today at Ford and Sons Sprigg Street Chapel. Parish prayers will be at 7.
Funeral Mass will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Saturday at St. Mary's Cathedral, with the Rev. Thomas Kiefer officiating.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be given to the Building on Faith-St. Mary's Cathedral or to the charity of your choice.
Online condolences may be made at www.fordandsonsfuneralhome.com.