Out of the past 9/25/11

Sunday, September 25, 2011

25 years ago: Sept. 25, 1986

A name -- "Liberty Center" -- is proposed for the Southeast Missouri State University-Cape Girardeau multipurpose building in commemoration of veterans; Tony Chivetta, chief architect on the project, submits the name for consideration.

The Southeast Missouri State University Board of Regents announces the SEMO Track and Field Complex will be renamed the Abe Stuber Track and Field Complex; Stuber is a former Southeast football, track and basketball coach who had a long, successful career in collegiate and professional athletics.

50 years ago: Sept. 25, 1961

In observance of the 100th anniversary of its original survey, the Mississippi River Commission meets on board the M/V Mississippi to begin an inspection of the river from Cape Girardeau to Morgan City, La.; S.P. Reynolds of Caruthersville, Mo., who will be 100 years old in November and who is an honorary member of the commission and a member of the Little River Drainage District, gives a talk on his more than half-century tenure with the commission.

In a closed session, the Jackson Board of Aldermen appoints Raymond Willer to temporarily fill the office of city collector, replacing Joe Howard.

75 years ago: Sept. 25, 1936

CHARLESTON, Mo. -- Work has been started on raising several miles of a riverside levee northeast of here and north of U.S. 60; about 100 men will be used, together with large machines, for about three months; the present levee will be raised about two feet for a distance of three miles north of the big setback mound and one short stretch of new levee will be constructed.

Exhibiting midseason form, the Central High Tigers opened the 1936 football season by defeating the Marion, Ill., High School team, 33-0, at Houck Field Stadium yesterday.

100 years ago: Sept. 25, 1911

The railroad yards and freight offices are busy places these days, taking care of shipments of racehorses and livestock bound for the Cape Fair.

Joseph Hunter, one of the grand old men of Southeast Missouri, died Wednesday at his home in New Madrid, Mo., after a period of severe illness extending over several months; Judge Hunter was well known here, having spent the last year at the home of his daughter, Mrs. L.B. Houck.

-- Sharon K. Sanders

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: