- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)5
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)3
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
- Cape woman hopes son's death in Chattanooga will lead to better policing (11/30/16)11
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
Basic, Refresher CERT Courses Available Beginning
Cape Girardeau CERT Alliance offers CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) classes during the months of September and October. Both Basic CERT and Refresher CERT courses are available. All are invited, and must be at least 18 years of age to attend the free training.
The 20-hour Basic CERT Class begins Tuesday, Sept. 20, and lasts 5 weeks. Sessions meet at the Cape Girardeau County Public Health Center from 8 a.m.-12 p.m. The 20-hour CERT class covers issues like:
Disaster Fire Suppression
Disaster Medical Operations
Light Search & Rescue Operations
Disaster Psychology & Team Organization
CERT Refresher Course training is recommended for community members who have not attended a CERT course within the last two years. The CERT Refresher group meets at Fire Station 3 in Cape Girardeau on Sept. 28 and Oct. 1. Two daily sessions (part 1-2) are available on each date, and participants must complete a total of 8 hours combining parts 1 and 2 to be re-certified. CERT Refresher topics include:
Box Cribbing & Cribbing Operations
Rescue Lifts & Carries
Search & Rescue
CERT is a positive and realistic approach to emergency and disaster situations where citizens may be initially on their own and their actions can make a difference for themselves, their families, coworkers and others. Participants will have the opportunity to practice learned skills at a disaster simulation during the last session.
To register for either the Basic or Refresher CERT Training Classes, log on to Southeast Missouri State University Extended and Continuing Education website, or call 573-986-6879. For additional information contact Jim Watkins, CERT Coordinator, at 573-339-6799 extension 2, or visit the City's website.