- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Child pornography charge added against man accused in toddler's murder
KENNETT, Mo. -- New charges of possession of child pornography have been filed against a Senath, Mo., man accused of murdering his 3-year-old neighbor.
Shawn Morgan, 43, appeared in a Dunklin County courtroom Tuesday morning before Judge John C. Spielman, his third appearance since being charged with the disappearance and death of 3-year-old BreeAnn Rodriguez, also of Senath.
On Monday it was learned that Dunklin County Prosecuting Attorney Stephen P. Sokoloff had filed a second amended complaint against Morgan, accusing him on the child pornography possession charge. The new charge is a result of a continuing investigation into the case by Dunklin County law enforcement officials.
Other charges against Morgan include felony counts of first-degree murder, armed criminal action and tampering with physical evidence in connection to the case.
At Morgan's last appearance on Aug. 30, Sokoloff introduced the additional charge of child kidnapping and also filed a notice that it intends to seek the death penalty.
At all court appearances, Morgan appeared without legal representation. But according to assistant prosecuting attorney Jonce Chidister, Morgan claims he cannot afford an attorney and has filed the necessary paperwork to obtain representation through the public defender's office. Another court appearance has been set for 9 a.m. Oct. 4.
BreeAnn Rodriguez went missing from near her home in Senath on Aug. 6, while she and her brother were riding their bicycles in the neighborhood.
Morgan was arrested and charged Aug. 13 and was taken to the Dunklin County Justice Center where he remains without bond.
In the week following her disappearance, community volunteers, the FBI, the Dunklin County Sheriff's Department, Missouri State Highway Patrol, Kennett Police Department and the Bootheel Drug Task Force aided in the search for the missing child before it came to an end when her body was discovered in a ditch northeast of Hornersville, Mo., approximately eight miles southeast of her home in Senath.