- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Police: Woman arrested after meth found hidden in pants (5/26/17)2
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
Having just marked the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on America, it's especially important that we continue to remember not only those killed that day but also those who have since made the ultimate sacrifice in the war on terror. Thanks to Bill and Evonne Williams of Omaha, Neb., who started Remembering Our Fallen -- a not-for-profit organization with three exhibits honoring soldiers from Missouri, Nebraska and Iowa -- many in the area will have another opportunity to do just that.
The traveling memorial, which includes pictures of 130 fallen Missouri soldiers, recently made a stop at the Perry Park Center in Perryville, Mo. The stop was the first in Southeast Missouri for the memorial, but another is planned for Sept. 15 to 20 at the Show Me Center in Cape Girardeau.
Traveling memorials of slain soldiers are always touching, and surely many tears will be shed by visitors of this one. But for some a visit may also serve as a time of emotional healing. For this reason we thank the organizers for making Southeast Missouri a stop on the memorial's tour.
Consider stopping by the Show Me Center when the tour comes to town later this week. These men and women have paid the ultimate sacrifice in the name of freedom. Now it's our turn to honor their memory.