Out of the past 9/10/11

Saturday, September 10, 2011

25 years ago: Sept. 10, 1986

Site preparation work could begin this week for a new speculation building which will be constructed in Cape Girardeau's industrial park; the 50,400 square foot steel structure will be located on 10 acres of land on Nash Road, across from Georgia-Pacific Corp.

A relatively small crowd of 5,743 people attended the second day of the SEMO District Fair; tonight's featured event at the grandstand will be the All-American Auto Stunt Team.

50 years ago: Sept. 10, 1961

Mary Ann Gross, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Gross of Cape Girardeau, leaves this weekend for Houston, Texas, where she has been accepted for study at Southern Bible College, a Pentecostal Church of God school; she is affiliated with First Assembly of God Church here.

Shown at the entrance to Southeast Missouri Hospital's new greenhouse in 1961 were Mrs. T.G. Harris, Mrs. Robert D. Harrison and Mrs. C.E. Stiver. (Missourian archives photo by G.D. "Frony" Fronabarger)

"The Green Thumb Hut" is the name selected for the newly completed greenhouse at Southeast Missouri Hospital; under the auspices of the Hospital Auxiliary and direction of Mrs. C.E. Stiver, the greenhouse was constructed to provide plants and flowers for the many planter boxes and niches in the hospital.

75 years ago: Sept. 10, 1936

Receipts at the municipal swimming pool for the season were $1,348.09, while expenditures amounted to $1,581.45; the costs included lights, pay of attendants, laundry, and filling and cleaning the pool.

C.P. Harris, former State College basketball, football and track star, who brought the college its first championship in basketball in the MIAA conference last season, will again direct the hoopsters for the 1936 season; there had been reports Harris might retire from coaching.

100 years ago: Sept. 10, 1911

The business men of Jackson are talking of petitioning the government to establish an auto mail service between Jackson and Cape Girardeau, as the mail is now carried by train and is often so late that it has proven unsatisfactory to the people.

Because of the unfinished repairs on the building of the First Presbyterian Church, the Rev. Eugene F. Abbott moves worship services to the Common Pleas courtroom.

-- Sharon K. Sanders

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: