- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Irene V. Sewing, 95, of Jackson passed away Wednesday, Aug. 17, 2011, at Jackson Manor Nursing Home.
She was the wife of the late Gilbert Sewing, who carried mail on Route 4 north of Jackson.
Irene was born May 9, 1916, in Millersville, to David R. and Jessie Fulbright Statler. She and Gilbert were married Nov. 7, 1936, and resided in Jackson their entire marriage. They had just celebrated their 58th anniversary when he passed away Nov. 25, 1994.
Prior to motherhood, Irene worked eight years at the former International Shoe Co. in Cape Girardeau. She was a member of St. Paul Lutheran Church more than 50 years, its Concordia Guild, American Legion Auxiliary and DAV Auxiliary.
She enjoyed flower and vegetable gardening, and took great pleasure in caring for her grandchildren.
Loving survivors include two daughters, Kathryn (John) Scharenborg and Martha (Marvin) Sides, both of Jackson; a son, Gilbert E. (Becky) Sewing Jr. of Ballwin, Mo.; seven grandchildren, Amy and Shawn Scharenborg, Connie Heath, Penny Hartle, Tim Burroughs, Chris and Kara Sewing; five great-grandchildren, Mackenzie and Emily Heath, Colton and Adyson Hartle and Makayla Burroughs.
In addition to her husband, she was preceded in death by two brothers and seven sisters.
Friends may call from 9:30 a.m. to time of service Saturday at the chapel of McCombs Funeral Home and Cremation Center in Jackson.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Robert Henrichs officiating. Interment will be in Russell Heights Cemetery.
Memorials may take the form of contributions to St. Paul Lutheran Radio Broadcast.
Online condolences may be sent to the family by visiting www.mccombsfuneralhome.com.